Amelia Freer’s Tasty Vegetable Frittata.
On a hot summer’s day as you move from pool to shaded terrace, cooking is the last thing on your mind. Cold but tasty is the order of the day, so a great idea is to have some cold slices of frittata in the fridge. This is a quick and easy meal to make, it stores well and is just as tasty cold as when straight out of the oven. I think having it cold actually improves the flavour. I love the Amelia Freer recipe*. It’s very versatile, just add any vegetables you find in your local shop to create something brilliantly fresh. Perfect holiday food.
Prep time: 5 mins // Cook time: 8 mins // Serves 4-6
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 10 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 courgette, sliced into thin half rounds
- 50g fresh peas
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 6 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the grill.
2. Bring a large ovenproof frying pan to a medium heat, add the coconut oil, then add all the vegetables and the chives. Stir and sauté for 1 minute, then add salt and black pepper to taste. Add the mustard, if using, to the eggs and beat to combine. Pour the eggs over the vegetables in the pan, and stir a little.
3. Once the egg has almost solidified, place the pan under the grill for another 1–2 minute until slightly firm and the top has browned a little. Remove and allow to rest for 1 minute before slicing and serving.
This is totally yummy and won’t stay in the fridge for long!
*By Amelia Freer – From the book: Cook. Nourish. Glow